The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention also reports that non-fire-related carbon monoxide poisoning is responsible for approximately 15,000 emergency department visits and nearly 500 deaths annually in the United States.Recognize and understand the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. At moderate levels, you or your family can experience severe headaches, dizziness, mental confusion, nausea, or fainting. You can even die if these levels persist for a long time. Low levels can cause shortness of breath, mild nausea, and mild headaches, and may have longer-term effects on your health. Since many of these symptoms are similar to those of the flu, food poisoning, or other illnesses, you may not recognize that carbon monoxide poisoning could be the cause.Prevention is the key to avoiding carbon monoxide poisoning. Please download our Carbon Monoxide Safety & Prevention brochure for information on how you can protect your family.
In addition to the safety tips outlined below, one thing we strongly encourage is getting a free or low-cost home energy audit from a qualified professional. Not only will an auditor be able to generate a report detailing how efficiency upgrades can save you money on heating and cooling costs, but the audit requires a safety check of your home’s fuel-burning appliances which includes a carbon monoxide test. To arrange for an energy audit of your home, please start here: www.longislandgreenhomes.org.
January is Carbon Monoxide Awareness Month
Carbon Monoxide Safety and Awareness Tips